US 81 Dedication

 

 

This photo from the Sept. 15, 1955, Telescope shows the opening of the 20 mile section of US81 pavement between Belleville and Concordia. At 2 p.m. A. Q. Miller cut the ribbon on the U.S. 36 overpass on the semi-cloverleaf, allowing traffi c onto the highway. Before the dedication the men attended a luncheon at the Annex cafe. Shown taking part in the ribbon cutting ceremony were Fred Hass, Salina; Dr. John Thayer, president of the Belleville Chamber of Commerce; Royal Henderson, Belleville, state representative; S.E. Arbuthnot, chairman of the Chamber Highway Committee, Belleville; Jack Turner, Mankato; Chris C. Green, state senator, Courtland; Merle M. Miller; A.Q. Miller, president emeritus, US81Pan American Association, Salina; John Sandusky, resident state engineer; Percy Collins, Jr., secretary Chamber of Commerce; W.D. Woolan, state engineer from Salina; and W.R. Waugh, Mankato.