A small town newspaper currently running 4-8 pages weekly. Focused on news and information relevant to those in western Republic County.
To record, preserve, and give a voice to the communities of Western Republic County.
The Courtland Journal was established in 1903 under the title “the Comet” by Homer A. Hoyt and Mr.Tibbitts. Homer sold the paper to Frances Borin in 1915 and Borin moved to Courtland and changed the name to “The Courtland Journal” circa. 1916. Currently the Journal is owned and operated by Colleen and Robert Mainquist who purchased “The Courtland Journal in 1990. Colleen and Bob have made it a priority to maintain the history, integrity and voice of Western Republic County and believe maintaining a newspaper is a large part of that. A Note of Trivia…the Mr. Tibbitts who helped to establish the Comet was an uncle to current owner Bob Mainquist.