A training class to be held September 11 at the Astra Bank meeting room for Mental Health First Aid training by Pawnee Mental Health. There are 6-10 county employees taking the training but they can take up to 20 in the class. The cost per person is $20. Can you find out if any other businesses/persons would like to attend.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour training course. Just as CPR training helps a layperson assist an individual following a heart attack, Mental Health First Aid training helps a layperson assist someone experiencing a mental health crisis.
You will learn:
- The prevalence of mental illnesses in the U.S. and their emotional and economic cost.
- The potential warning signs and risks factors for depression, anxiety disorders, trauma, psychotic disorders, eating disorders, and substance abuse disorders.
- A 5-step action plan to help an individual in crisis connect to professional care.
- Resources available to help someone with a mental health problem.
Who can be a Mental Health First Aider?
- Educators/School Administrators
- College/University Leaders
- Human Resource Professionals
- First Responders/Security Personnel
- Nurses/Physician Assistants
- Members of Faith Communities
- Social Workers
- Caring Citizens
Did You Know?
You are more likely to encounter a person in an emotional or mental crisis than someone having a heart attack. Mental Disorders are more common than heart disease and cancer combined.
Please direct correspondence about Mental Health First Aid to:
Pawnee Mental Health Services
2001 Claflin Road
Manhattan, KS 66502
Phone: (785) 587-4300
The mission of Pawnee Mental Health
Services is to provide comprehensive quality mental health and substance use treatment and recovery services to strengthen the wellness of our communities.
Visit our website at