For well over a year efforts have been heating up on exactly what the best way is to honor the finest athletes who have ever competed in Republic County. Not from just one school or from one area of the county, but from all schools and all corners.
In 2018 it was decided to recognize ‘the best of the best’ by forming a hall of fame, specifically The Republic County Sports Hall of Fame. Belleville, S
Hall of Fame committee members
Initially named to the honor will be:
- Herb Bradley from Agenda High School (born Jan. 3, 1903, died Oct.16, 1959.) Bradley was a right-handed pitcher who threw for The BostonRed Sox from 1927-29. In a three-season career, he posted a 1-4 record with 20 strikeouts. He threw 74/1 innings and recorded a 5.93 ERA including one shut out and three complete games. More – https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/767e990b
- Lloyd Cardwell from Republic High School (born April 19, 1913, died Nov. 10, 1997.) Cardwell was an American Football League player and coach. He played football for the University of Nebraska and professionally for the Detroit Lions for seven seasons. Post football
Cardwell,coached track and field and football at Omaha University (the precursor to UNO) including the undefeated 1954 including a win in the Tangerine Bowl. More – http://nebhalloffame.org/lloyd-cardwell-seward/
- Larry Cheney from Belleville High School (born May 2, 1886, died Jan. 6, 1969.) Cheney was a starting pitcher in Major League Baseball who played for The ChicagoCubs (1911-1915), Brooklyn Robbins (1915-1919), and Philadelphia Phillies (1919). Over nine seasons posted a 116-100 record with 926 strikeouts in 1,881 1/3 innings. He recorded a lifetime 2.70ERA. More – https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/a84493b5
- Ronald Severa from Munden High School (born Aug. 13, 1936.) Severa was an American water polo player who competed in the 1956 and1960 Summer OlympicGames. The ‘56 team finished fifth and the ‘60 squad was seventh. He was also a member of the gold medal-winning team in the 1959 Pan. American Games and part of the silver medal team of 1963.
Severaattended USC and was inducted into the Trojan Hall of Fame in 2007 and the USA Water Polo Hall of Fame in 1977. More – https://usawaterpolo.org/hof.aspx?hof=109
Additionally, one team will be inducted into the 2019 class.
- 1943 Belleville High School Football Team the Buffaloes were undefeated at 8-0, scoring 277 points and giving up just19. During the season they posted six shut outs and allowed only three touchdowns.
Committee members are hoping to add additional inductees this year. Anyone having any information on this year’s honorees as well as names for consideration to the HOF, contact any of the following board members:
Denis Erkenbrack, 551, Pawnee Trail, Republic, KS
Deanna Morris, 133 118th Street, Belleville, KS
Ralph McFillen, 931 Lakemere Crest, Suwanee, GA
Nick Hansen, 1148 170 Rd., Belleville, KS
Alan Sheets, 120519th Street., Belleville, KS
Jim Krob, 211 E. 29th St., Hays, KS
Brad Coutre, 1025150 Rd., Belleville, KS
Gary Loring, 100 School St., Scandia, KS
Monte Miller, 2810 Heartland Valley Dr., Manhattan, KS