RCCF distributes grants to a dozen county projects
Nearly $62,000 in grants were awarded through the Republic County Community Foundation in the May grant cycle.
$54,000 was distributed through funds the RCCF receives from the Dane Hansen Foundation at Logan. Counties in the Hansen area were recently notified they will receive another $150,000 to distribute, and may qualify for more funds by participating in a strategic planning process. Another round of grant applications will be solicited in the fall.
The Hansen Foundation asks communities to give priority to projects that involve volunteers in their implementation.
In addition, the RCCF awarded $7,580 in grants to health related projects, which is made possible through a partnership with the Kansas Health Foundation.
Successful applicants are:
- Scandia Volunteer Fire Department, $3,207 to upgrade bunker gear, radios and other equipment, (Hansen funds) and an additional $1,043 to provide CPR classes for firemen and the community (health funds).
- Belleville Public Library, $3,000 for Ready to Read, Ready to Learn program to update and enhance the library’s services to preschool and elementary school children.
- City of Courtland, $6,572 (Hansen award) and $3,428 (health fund) to replace playground equipment destroyed by a tornado. The project qualified for the health fund grant because it enhances the safety of the playground and provides outdoor activities to children.
- Republic County Jr./Sr. High School, $655 (health award) to continue the IMPACT concussion testing for athletes.
- Pike Valley High School, $750 (Hansen fund) to purchase a 3D printer to be used to create mechanical parts for the school robot, and provide students a real world experience with computer programs, create cell structures and explore graphic design.
- Belleville Ball Association, $1,268 (Hansen fund) to purchase a rollaway outfield fence to replace the outdated orange snow fence.
- Courtland PRIDE Club, $3,753 (Hansen fund) to purchase Main Street Christmas Lights.
- Pike Valley Summer Baseball $4,085 (Hansen award) and $2,454 (health fund) for baseball bleachers and dugouts.
- USD 109 Republic County Schools $5,500 (Hansen fund) for the WeatherBug Digital Meteorology System HD camera.
- Belleville Chamber of Commerce $15,000 (Hansen fund) for the Belleville High Banks lighting and safety project.
- Belleville Mainstreet Inc.,/Rocky Pond Christmas Lights $8,930 (Hansen fund) for the Christmas lighting display.
- High Banks Hall of Fame $2,000 (Hansen fund) Winner’s Circle ex