For Immediate Release
March 26, 2020
While there are currently no known cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Republic County, we are working closely with state and local medical personnel to ensure preparedness. Due to the recent recommendations from the Kansas Department of Health & Environment (KDHE), concerning COVID-19, Republic County Health Department is on restricted access until further notice. The Republic County Home Health Agency will continue to operate normally at this time. All home health inquiries call 785-955-2473.
We ask for your patience with medical personnel through our county. The precautions that we are taking and asking others to take are to ensure the safety and the availability of medical staff. And this is also to ensure the health and safety of our community. We are doing our best to take precautions to ensure the public has no reason to worry. Currently, we are strongly suggesting that people over the age of 60 stay home as much as possible as well as immune-compromised individuals.
KDHE is now mandating 14-day home quarantine for Kansans who have:
* Please notify the Republic County Health Department if you have or know of anyone who fits the following quarantine mandates.
- Traveled to a state with known widespread community transmission (California, Florida, New York and Washington state) on or after March 15.
- Traveled to Illinois or New Jersey on or after March 23.
- Visited Eagle, Summit, Pitkin and Gunnison counties in Colorado in the week of March 8 or after.
- Traveled on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
- People who have previously been told by Public Health to quarantine because of their cruise ship travel should finish out their quarantine.
- Traveled internationally on or after March 15. o People who have previously been told by Public Health to quarantine because of their international travel to China, South Korea, Japan, Italy and Iran should finish out their quarantine.
- Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19. You should quarantine at home for 14 days since your last contact with the case. (A close contact is defined as someone who has been closer than 6 feet for more than 10 minutes while the patient is symptomatic.)
The state is requiring that gatherings over 10 people postpone or cancel events per executive order 20-14. The Republic County Health Department has also placed an Order of the Board of Health/Health Officer restricting public gatherings/closing of dine-in operations.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are shortness of breath, dry cough and a fever greater than 100 degrees. If you believe or suspect that you have or have encountered someone who shared the symptoms of COVID-19 please CALL the Republic County Health Department at 785-527-5671.
You may also call the KDHE phone bank at 1-866-534-3463 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. For more information about COVID-19, visit KDHE’s website and Frequently Asked Questions at www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus/ and www.cdc.gov/coronavirus